The Turkey Knob Story ...
- 1. Let's begin in the orchards where the mineral-enriched limestone soil found in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia gives our apples malic acid, which causes a lower sugar to acid ratio. This ratio unleashes their superior flavor...flavor unequaled anywhere west of the Mississippi.
- This flavor is captured when the apple is picked at peak ripening, not too early, not too late. Because our orchards are so close to our new state-of-the-art packing facility, the short time from tree to pack keeps the juice locked in!
- 2. When the apples arrive at the packing line, they are gently floated out of the bins into a warm water bath where they are washed with biodegradable soap, water and chlorine to keep the apples pristine.
- 3. The apples are rinsed three times with clean, warm water. We use warm water so the skin will open its pores and release the dirt... like giving an apple a facial!
- 4. After washing, all surface moisture is removed from the apples by a combination of air drying and soft brushes. When completely dry and squeaky clean, we spray our apples with a natural, edible wax which helps preserve them. We inspect them again after drying before they enter the color sorter.
- 5. Apples are inspected three times during packing. The apples that do not qualify for Extra Fancy Grade A or Fancy standards are processed for apple juice or applesauce. Nothing is wasted! For more information on processed apple products, see the Bowman Apple Products web site.
- 6. Eight cameras in the color sorter photograph each apple 4-6 times and send color specifications and weights for each apple into the computer.
- 7. The computer matches the apples to buyer specifications for weight, size, color and PLU stickers and then precisely routes each individual apple into one of 26 drops that lead to packaging for bags, trays or biwalls.
- 8. Turkey Knob's cold storage facility adjoins the packing line so we can move our apples immediately into atmospherically controlled storage which provides the optimal environment for acids and sugars to mix perfectly.
- 9. Our 35,000-square-foot packing facility has given us the ability to keep our quality consistent. Using state-of-the-art technology, we are able to bring the apples to their peak in flavor and capture the most juice, while retaining the crisp, tangy taste for which Turkey Knob Apples are famous.
Turkey Knob has a commitment to quality throughout the growing and packing process.